This is a simple little entree dish that can partially be prepared in advanced, then finished off at the last minute. The witlof was sweet and bitter and the prosciutto delivered the saltiness. I purchased the witlof today, it was only $7/kg, and by the time I walked home, it had already started to wilt and go a little brown! I recommend using it very quickly after purchase. Next time I do this, I’m going to try using boconcini cheese instead of the parmesan, I think the creamy curds will go well with the saltiness.
1 Witlof, outer leaves removed and end of stalk trimmed.
1 tsp Sugar
6 ultra-thin slices of Prosciutto
Thick Balsamic Vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and place 2 oven trays in to heat..
2. Place the prosciutto in a single layer on a piece of baking paper
3. Place the baking paper on top of one of the oven trays, and rest the other tray on top of the meat. This will keep then flat when they are cooking.
4. Cook until crispy (about 10-15 minutes)
5. Sprinkle a little sugar over the witlof and place on a heated ridge grill pan. turn over once to char on each side.
6. Place Prosciutto and Witlof on a plate, drizzle over oil and vinegar, crack some pepper over and shave a bit of parmesan cheese.